Tue. 9/18/07 ~ The LONGEST 400 miles of the Trip

We got up early and left the campground at 6:15 AM and headed north on US 17 towards the Outer Banks of North Carolina. When we crossed the border into North Carolina we stopped at the Visitor’s Center and got a map for “the most efficient” way to get there. The lady at the desk told us to continue on US 17 and then turn east on Highway 64. It got us here but it was a VERY LONG day. We arrived just after 5:00 PM. I drove today – for all of five minutes! After we got fuel Bill got us back on the highway and I took over driving. No sooner did I take over than I missed the turn to keep us on US 17 and ended up on the 70. I got off the freeway and into a parking lot so Bill could get us back on track and then he continued driving. I can’t understand it but for some reason he declined my offers to take over the driving again. We checked into the Cape Hatteras KOA and had dinner at home.